This Device Brutally Killed Beloved Family Dog Right In Their Backyard And It's Totally Legal

Canyon Mansfield was walking his three-year-old Lab named Casey along a hill in Pocatello, Idaho, on March 16, when he stumbled upon an odd protrusion coming out of the ground.


Source: Theresa Mansfield

The curious 14-year-old bent down to take a closer look. When he touched the strange object, it burst, knocking him back, and covering him in an orange powder.He used a nearby snow patch to quickly wash off what he could of the substance and called out for Casey, who didn't respond.


Source: Theresa Mansfield

Mansfield spotted him laying on the ground and thought he was playing with his toy.To his horror he saw the toy several feet away.He told the Idaho State Journal:

So, I called him again and got really scared. I sprinted toward him and landed on my knees and saw this red froth coming from his mouth and his eyes turning glassy and he was having a seizure.

Casey passed away moments later after suffocating from cyanide poisoning.


Source: Theresa Mansfield

Mansfield was rushed to the emergency room where he received treatment and was released. The boy'slife was sparedbecause he happened to beupwind from the spray, but will have to return frequently to check his toxicity levels.TheM-44 device that the pair had found is used to kill coyotes and foxes in the area who could threaten livestock in farming communities.


Source: Theresa Mansfield

They consist of metal tubes filled with sodium-cyanide and baited with tempting scents to lure in the predators. The cyanide works to suffocate the cells of the animal, or human, who touches it.The devise is totally legal, even though it has resulted in the deaths of 3,400 unintended targetssince 2006, including bears, raccoons, and obviously dogs.The boy's mother, Theresa Mansfield, told The Dodo:

My son Canyon, who witnessed it all, is really struggling with what happened. It was above our house. It makes me not feel safe. I feel like I had terrorism in my own backyard, with my own government.

Source: Theresa Mansfield

She hopes that her case will make the devices illegal, but unfortunately, some officials have been trying to ban the devices for decades.U.S. Representative Peter DeFazio (D-OR) told Oregon Live:

The use of this device by Wildlife Services ... has previously killed domestic dogs, and sooner or later, will kill a child. The federal government should not be using these extreme measures.

The Mansfield family and even the county sheriff were completely unaware that the device was in place, but for the moment, all of the M-44's have been removed from the area.


Source: Predator Defense

For their part, the USDA and APHIS, have issued a statement, butthe Mansfield's found it to be far from being apologetic. The organizationwrote:

APHIS’ Wildlife Services confirms the unintentional lethal take of a dog in Idaho. As a program made up of individual employees many of whom are pet owners, Wildlife Services understands the close bonds between people and their pets and sincerely regrets such losses. Wildlife Services has removed M-44s in that immediate area. Wildlife Services is completing a thorough review of the circumstances of this incident, and will work to review our operating procedures to determine whether improvements can be made to reduce the likelihood of similar occurrences happening in the future.

This killing process is cruel and painful for any animal who comes along its path, including the predators they intend to kill. No animal should have to die this way.Americans can contact their representativesand demand that they find other ways to keep predator populations in check.

H/t: The Dodo

* * *

At Holidog, we aim to improve the lives of your furry friends. Enjoy your holidays with peace of mind, knowing your pet is in great hands (find a petsitter near you) and spoil them with our monthly subscription box filled with yummy treats and toys (get your free box here). You can count on us!