This 6-Month-Old Staffy Swallowed A Whopping 8-Inch Knife Without Her Family Noticing

11/9/2016

When Lexi started throwing up that day, her family wasn't particularly worried - she must've eaten something that she couldn't digest. She was just a puppy, after all, they told themselves.

lexi-knife-4

Source: VETTALK TV VIDEO

But they took her to the vet anyway, just to be sure. It turned out to be a good move... They were completely shocked to discover why she was vomiting - their puppy had swallowed a 20cm knife! And it was still lodged in her oesophagus. Lexi's mom told Vet Talk TV:

I thought she was going to die. Our vet said to rush her straight to the Animal Referral Hospital and they were amazing.

 
lexi-knife-1

Source: VETTALK TV VIDEO 

The vets at the hospital had never seen anything like it, but they were sure of one thing: the knife had to be removed from Lexi's throat immediately.

With the help of an endoscope (a medical instrument that allows one to see inside the body), Jody Braddock and the team firstly checked which direction the knife was facing...

lexi-knife-3

Source: VETTALK TV VIDEO

They slowly brought the knife all the way back up the puppy's throat in a risky, 45-minute procedure that saved Lexi's life.

After three days under observation at the hospital, the lucky puppy was allowed to return home after her miraculous recovery.

lexi-knife-2

Source: VETTALK TV VIDEO

Her family still doesn't know how their little fluff ball managed to get hold of and swallow such a big knife, but now they're always keeping a closer eye on her in the kitchen!