Foxtail is a commonplant found primarily in the western states of the USA as well as many areas in the UK. It becomes particularly prevalent during the warm summer months.While this common plant may not seem dangerous, it poses an unexpected threat to dogs. The heads of the seed are barbed and dart shaped, to allow for easy dispersal and replanting.
However, this makes the seeds prone to latch onto the fur coats of animals brushing past. The true danger lies in the fact that they can then embed themselves progressively deeper into the canine's fur, skin, and even internal organs.
The risk of a dog dying could develop if they inhale or swallow a grass seed and it gets lodged somewhere that is extremely difficult to treat, such as the lungs or abdomen, meaning an abscess may potentially develop.
It is possible to remove foxtails from a dog's fur at home with a pair of tweezers. However, if the area around the seed seems red of inflamed, it is always best to seek medical advice from a veterinary professional.Stay vigilant so that your dog can stay safe and enjoy the summer months.
* * *
At Holidog, we aim to improve the lives of your furry friends. Enjoy your holidays with peace of mind, knowing your pet is in great hands (find a petsitter near you) and spoil them with our monthly subscription box filled with yummy treats and toys (get your free box here). You can count on us!