Hundreds Of Dogs Die Because Of It Each Year. 4 Ways To Detect Chocolate Poisoning

Andrea A.
27/10/2015

All educated and responsible friends of dogs will know that you should never give your dog chocolate. And without a doubt you’ll know 5 key facts about the toxicity of cocoa. But we all make mistakes. Perhaps your dog has eaten an entire bar found on the corner of the table when you weren’t there. A small amount may not do much but a large amount could lead to poisoning. It is therefore essential that you know how to recognise chocolate poisoning.

Source

1. Firstly, the stomach.

dog-chocolate-signs-cover-2

SourceIn the event of poisoning, it is the digestive system that takes the first blow. Theobromine, the toxic substance in chocolate immediately upsets the stomach and leads to vomiting, diahorrea. These are the first signs that should alarm you...

2. Then the kidneys.

dog-chocolate-signs-cover-3

SourceIs your dog is drinking an abnormal amount of water and urinating often? This is also a sign of potential chocolate poisoning as theobromine has a diuretic effect.

3. Then, nerves.

dog-chocolate-signs-cover-4

SourceIf the poisoning is serious, it will be clear from symptoms involving the nervous system. Restlessness, irritation, shaking. Your dog can’t settle and is in a bad mood. In serious cases, tremors can escalate into seizures.

4. And the heart.

dog-chocolate-signs-cover-5

SourceTheobromine disrupts the hearts natural rhythm. If you recognise the above symptoms and your dog’s pulse is racing for no reason or becomes irregular (they are panting or breathless), take them to the vet immediately.

Featured image : source