Your poor dog or cat needs you to stay calm, not panic, and do all you can to help him recover from this painful accident.Seeing as some dogs or cats could be allergic to bee stings, it's important to take the matter seriously and not waste time laughing or taking photos (rather take the funny pictures after treating him!). here's how to handle the situation and help your pet.
Firstly, remove the stinger to prevent any further venom being pulsed into the animal.Dr. Arnold Plotnick, DVMspoke to the site Vetstreet about the steps to follow. He said:
Removal of the stinger should be done using a credit card to scrape it out. Do not try to squeeze the stinger out with your fingers or use tweezers because the venom sac may rupture, further exposing the pet to more venom.
Then it's important to monitor the swelling on your pet and to get a treatment at the vet's office. The most common antihistamine vets give for dogs or cats with bee stings isBenadryl, which is available over the counter. However, be careful of human medicine. Dr Erika Loftin from the DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital told The Dodo:
It's very important to consult a doctor before giving your pets any kind of medicine, especially medicine intended for humans.
Once he's taken the medication, try to reduce the swelling by running a cloth under cold water and wrapping it around your pet's stung area.It's a smart idea to get your pet tested for allergies before the summer comes, so that you know how serious the situation is as soon as it happens.