The Deluca family only adopted the two-year-old dog calledHaus from a local shelter in Florida two months ago.But he quickly formed an extremely strong bond withMolly, the little girl whose life he saved.
But the German's Shepherd love for his tiny human went beyond expectations when he got in the way of a rattlesnake trying to bite Molly, and got bitten instead.Donya Deluca, Molly's mother, explained toCNN :
Haus immediately came to her rescue, refusing to back down even when the snake bit him three times... He had every opportunity to run but he didn't.
Haus was immediately taken to the emergency vet's, where he is still fighting for his life whilst the vets try and extract the venomous poison fromhis blood.
But the treatment is extremely expensive (around $12,000 dollars), so a friend of the family's decided to launch a fundraising campaign to help themkeep their heroic dog alive.And the reaction has been "overwhelming", with hundreds ofinternet users offering their support.
The amazing generosity of the public means that the vets will be able to do their upmost to save Haus.Once they have covered the dog's medical bills, the family are going to donate the rest of the money to a local animal shelter.
At the moment,Haus is in a stable condition in the Intensive Care unit at the Blue Pearlveterinary clinic.The dogstill has venom in his blood and his leg is wounded but the vets are continuing to give him the antivenin treatment and keeping a very close eye on him.It's unclear when he'll be able to go home with his family, but we hope that he makes a full recoverysoon."It shows you that a rescue dog, for us, paid it forward by protecting my family," AdamDeluca concluded.