Dog Owners Must Stay Alert to This Hidden Beach Danger


Before heading to the beach with your furry friend this summer, it's crucial to be aware of a hidden danger that could pose serious health risks for your dog. While the beach may seem like the perfect playground for dogs, one TikToker and dog owner, @olliepopmaltipoo, learned this the hard way after an unexpected trip to the emergency vet. Now, she's warning other pet owners about the potential dangers that can turn a fun beach day into a veterinary emergency.

So, what is this hidden danger that dog owners should be aware of at the beach? It's sand impaction. Playing fetch on the beach can be exhilarating for both dogs and their owners, but it can also lead to sand impaction, a condition where material compresses and forms a blockage in the intestines. When dogs play with toys covered in wet sand and accidentally ingest some of it, it can lead to impaction, as experienced by Ollie.

Impaction can occur when dogs eat excessive amounts of sand or even rocks while playing at the beach. The sand accumulates in their system, creating a blockage that cannot be easily moved. Treatment for impaction varies from providing fluids to surgical intervention.


PSA for dog owners the next time you take your dog to the beach ⚠️

♬ A Gentle Sunlight - James Quinn

Fortunately, there are signs dog owners can look out for to identify sand impaction in their furry companions. Symptoms may include vomiting, shaking, panting, restlessness, constipation, abdominal pain, and a lack of appetite. These symptoms can appear within a few hours to a few days after exposure to sand.

To prevent sand impaction at the beach, dog owners should take certain precautions. It's important to avoid letting dogs play with sandy toys such as frisbees and balls. If the toys do become covered in sand, rinsing them off thoroughly is recommended. Furthermore, dogs should be discouraged from digging holes or drinking saltwater at the beach. It's also crucial not to throw dog treats into the sand, as it can lead to ingestion of sand particles.

By following these preventive measures, dogs and their owners can enjoy safe and satisfying beach days throughout the summer. Being aware of the potential risks and taking necessary precautions will help ensure that the beach remains a fun and worry-free environment for our furry friends.