19 Seriously Toxic Everyday Items All Pet Parents Should Know

5/8/2016

Without necessarily realising it, everyday we expose our pets to substances which may be seriously harmful to their health, or even toxic.

We've put together a list of the more dangerous everyday things in our homes, to help you keep your four-legged friend away from substances which could prove potentially poisonous.

In the kitchen

chien-intoxication-4

Source : @Hotpawspetresort

Certain food items in the kitchen should not be digested by dogs or cats, and others may be even more dangerous to their health. Theseare the main food items to keep from your pet - with a special mention going to chocolate!1.Chocolate2. Onion, garlic and shallots3. Sweeteners4.Leek5. Avocado6.Grapes

In the living room

chien-intoxication-3

Source : @Dogslife

Smoking presents one of the main dangers in the living room, since a large ingested quantity of nicotine may be toxic to our furry friends. Plants are also a hazard. Pay careful attention to chimney-related products as well, if you have one.

7.Cigarette butts8. Certain plants (lilies, aloe vera, asparagus...)9.Alcohol10.Firelighter

 In the bathroom

chien-intoxication-5

Source : @Reference

Brimming with chemical and even toxic products, the bathroom is a particularly risky room for animals. In fact, it's best to try and keep your cat or dog away from this room altogether.

11. Essential oils

12. Cosmetics (creams, make-up...)

13. Detergent and washing powder

14. Solvents (White Spirit, acetone...)

In the garden (including the balcony/ garage)

chien-intoxication-6

Source : @Telegraph

If you have a garden, be aware that certain animal species, such as toads and caterpillars, give off substances which can be seriously harmful to your animal's health if ingested. In addition, most gardening products are extremely dangerous.

15. Insecticides16.Slug repellents17.Fertilisers18.Rat poison19.Weedkiller

If by some chance, you don't manage to keep your pet from one of these toxic products and he is reacting badly, take him to the vet immediately.

But if your ball of fluff has ingested one of the more dangerous products in the list (the chemical products especially), do not wait for the symptoms to appear before taking him to the vet: act as quickly as you can.

Featured Image: @TheDogist

H/t: @SciencesAvenir